Ontario MPP Yvan Baker announces Ontario’s third green bond issue will come this fiscal year at at launch of Smart Prosperity/Climate Bonds Canada Green Bonds Report
Ontario MPP Yvan Baker announces Ontario’s third green bond issue will come this fiscal year at at launch of Smart Prosperity/Climate Bonds Canada Green Bonds Report.
Main highlights of the report:
- Canada is the 5th largest country of issuance in the climate-aligned universe with nearly C$33bn outstanding.
- Both the full climate-aligned universe and the C$ 2.9bn labelled green segment of the Canadian market have grown over the past year, though less quickly than had been expected.
- Leaders include the Province of Ontario with repeat issuance in 2016 and the European Investment Bank (EIB) with its Canadian-denominated green bond, indicative of investor demand in Canada.
- The energy theme accounts for 61% of the climate-aligned universe while the transport theme accounts for 28%.
- Other examples of green bond issuance in 2016 include CoPower’s C$300,000 retail bond financing community-based clean energy projects.
- Major opportunity for Feds to prime the green bond market to direct financing toward green infrastructure
Read the report here.